A 20-year-old student died after taking drugs at Warehouse Project in ‘every parent’s worst nightmare’. A ‘caring’ 20-year-old student died after taking MDMA and ketamine at the Warehouse Project, an inquest has been heard. James Diss suffered an extreme drug reaction while attending an event in the early hours of September 25. He was rushed to Manchester Royal Infirmary but sadly died shortly afterward.
An inquest into his death was conducted by Senior Coroner Nigel Meadows at Manchester Coroner’s Court on Monday, April 11. He heard how Mr. Diss had traveled to Manchester on a coach from Bristol and met friends ahead of the Metropolis drum and bass and jungle night, headlined by DJs Andy C, Friction, and Sub Focus.
Mr. Diss had recently moved to Bristol from his home in Newmarket in Suffolk to study at a music school. He was to start his new course just two days before his death. The court heard how a friend bought ‘Louis Vuitton’ blue pills in Suffolk and brought them to Manchester to distribute in the group.
After taking the pills, Mr. Diss immediately fell ill and started stripping on the dance floor. He was later found slumped against a wall in the corner of the club.
The paramedics at Location of Mayfield Depot began treating him but rushed him to the hospital as his condition worsened. Mr. Diss was only hospitalized shortly before being pronounced dead.
The court heard how his friends were held in a security lodge at the scene and spoken to by police. Four were arrested for possession of drugs with intent to supply.
Two friends were not found in possession of drugs but admitted to taking them. They were also taken to the hospital for checks. Currently, two young men are still under investigation by the police.
Toxicologist Julie Evans, who conducted the toxicology report, found a concentration of 5.9 MDMA in Mr. Diss’ system. Traces of ketamine and alcohol were also present. She found no evidence of natural illnesses or undiagnosed conditions. “He became an apprentice accountant. He finished his apprenticeship and decided that because he had a strong interest in music he would apply to the British Institute of Modern Music in Bristol.
“He moved to Bristol in September and was due to open court on March 27. He was a DJ and producer and hoped to build a following in Bristol.
“He had no problem with alcohol and we knew he had tried cannabis socially in the past, but we didn’t know he was on harder drugs. He was a caring son and brother and was close to all of his family members. After going to Bristol, he called his family every day to let his parents know what was going on.
“He left Bristol to reunite with friends at the Warehouse Project. He called his parents around 11 p.m. after arriving in Manchester by coach. Everything was fine; he was looking forward to the evening. He was very excited and happy to start his course at Bristol and was in very good spirits in the days leading up to his death.
Mr. Diss’ death was ruled drug-related. Before concluding the inquest, Chief Coroner Nigel Meadows said: ‘He was clearly a smart young man with lots of plans for the future and already had accomplishments.
“He wanted to pursue those who were more interested in a career. It was due to start at BIMM in Bristol on September 27. It then appears that he has agreed with some friends that he will go to Warehouse Project for an event that will continue for most of the night and into the early hours of the next morning.
“He met a number of friends in his area and I accept that at least the ketamine and ecstasy had been purchased by one or more of them. “We were all 20 at some point and I’m sure we did things our parents wouldn’t approve of. This is probably every parent’s worst nightmare – James leaving for Bristol for what was to be the next step in a very happy life.
“The next thing you know is you’re getting phone calls. There can be nothing worse. What this demonstrates, again, is that there really is no recreational drug-taking. “It’s just playing Russian roulette with your life. It may be a strange coincidence that James is the only one fatally hit. It is truly a very tragic loss.